Saturday, August 30, 2008

birthday love

Today was my birthday. I really like this day. I smile with satisfaction and thankfulness thinking on all that I have, how I've been carried and rescued and driven and called and blessed, blessed, blessed, blessed. I feel like an heir today. I know my God is my King and I'm an heir. It's scary to say that out loud sometimes, to claim it.
  • I slept until 9:30 this morning, and didn't feel one ounce of guilt. That's just pure goodness in Mommy/teacher world.
  • Mom delivered my car back to me. Jimmy (step-dad) had gotten the battery replaced for me. Oh, the joys of not talking to the car people, all by myself.
  • I spent the morning with my dear friend, fellow coach, mentor... gift of a friend (did I say that yet?), Jennifer. We did a necessary cheerleading outing, and it was good. We ate lunch and it was really good. She gave me a precious present and I felt super grateful. Wow, God.
  • My phone stopped working last night. I could hear, but people couldn't hear me. Sort of comical. I went to Mom's to borrow her cell, so that I could make arrangements to get mine fixed and check in on my kiddos. I got to lick the bowl from the homemade chocolate icing for my cake. We'll be devouring that tomorrow when my brother comes to town.
  • Phone was fixed. Man said my warranty would have run out on Monday. God's good. Free new phone is on the way.
  • I had dinner at McDonald's with Belle, Christian and "Grandma & Grandpa," John's parents. That was really good. How far God's brought us.
  • Got a phone call from a friend wishing me happy birthday. The best part was her exciting news of God's faithfulness and better-than-we-know-to-ask-for-goodness.
  • Drove back home listening to my hilarious children. Belle: "Where are we anyways?" Christian: "Of course, McBee!" Belle: "What? We're still in that sleepy ole town?" shaking my head - oh those two. We were driving - we were not in McBee, and they are just funny.
  • Listening to the same two "crazies" be super precious children of our God, singing "Savior He can move the mountains..." only I think Christian says "Safer, He can move the mountains..." I think there's some truth in there somewhere.
  • Getting home, after a long yet sweet day, and having Belle lead me down the hall to her room. I opened my eyes to find a present wrapped with lots of tape, in typing paper, decorated by crayon with purple hearts. Inside, a painting she had done. And then her her arms around me, giving me a huge hug and smoocheroo, saying, "There's nothing like a big hug and lots of kisses on your birthday!" You're right Belle. nothing like it

Lord, I've messed up a whole heap of a lot in these 27 years of life, and You've presented yourself faithful. The author of creation, my King, the giver of sooo many gifts. I'll take it. I'll take whatever You have in store tomorrow. And with Your all-sufficient grace, humbly yet desperately I'll attempt to offer up something worthy of being called glory - Your glory, and my only chance of tasting what that means.

5 comments:

reddchurch said...

happy birthday toooo you! yay for august bdays! love ya!

Kathryn Ragin Dungan said...

Happy Birthday Kelly! I am glad you had an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I really like this new template. I put the button for the place where I got mine at the bottom of my sidebar. Hope that makes sense. Glad you had such a sweet birthday.

amanda thompson said...

oh, kelly! God is so good to us all....i cannot wait to see what HE will do in your life this year. isn't it so fun to do this life together?!

Paula V said...

I love that song...He can move mountains....mighty to save, mighty save. love it.