Saturday, April 19, 2008

SLOW AS DIRT


Every time I drive between Bethune and Camden (en route to Columbia) I end up behind someone who is AS SLOW AS DIRT! Now, I know that there are laws, speed limits we all should obey. Sure. Personally, I like the unsaid 5 over the speed limit rule. It feels safe; the cops don’t seem to mind.
But those who are on their way to… perhaps NOWHERE in this little corridor of Highway 1 do not observe the speed limit. Oh no. They drive at a pace “a-suitin-them, I reckon.” (no offense to your country grandma)
So slow in fact, that I pondered this post’s topic, jotted down a few notes, thinking I could type the darn thing, while driving, if I’d had my laptop, at the well-under speed limit rate at which we were “truckin” (pun very much intended – see pics). At the time of my mulling of these ideas, there were at least 4 other cars in front of me. I, #5 in line, seemed to be the only car with a sense of urgency… or a place to be, perhaps! Cars, number 1, 2, 3, and 4 all were at ease in their lackluster velocity (OBVIOUSLY, as there was ample opportunity to pass, with clear vision of the 2-laner), leaving me thinking…

One could easily argue that a post on “speeding up” in a culture that drastically needs to take measures to “slow down” would be a backwards suggestion. I agree… to an extent. But here’s what God laid on my heart, while I took hold of the patience He grants me and giggled over my own thoughts – until thank the Lord, I got to I-26!:

Some things are worth moving toward at an adequate pace, as if you plan on getting somewhere!!

Here are some quick examples worthy of much more in depth study. (well, duh they’re from God’s Word, but you know what I’m sayin.)

This morning I was in the Patriarchs filling in a Bible Study day I had left blank, where God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah. God had this to say to Lot about swiftness:
22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it…” Genesis 19:22

From what I understand, the Hebrew form means “hasteth, hastily, at once, quickly, soon, speedily, suddenly.”
Moving when God says, “MOVE!” is for our own well-being. In Lot’s case, it was life or death.

Then there’s this in the New Testament:
Matthew 28:7 "Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."
Here, I’m not sure which Greek definition of “quickly” actually applies. But once again… they all speak, MOVE IT!.. in the now.
See for yourself:

tacheos takh-eh'-oce adverb from 5036; briefly, i.e. (in
time) speedily, or (in manner) rapidly:--hastily, quickly, shortly, soon,
suddenly.
5032. tachion takh'-ee-on neuter singular of the comparative of
5036 (as adverb); more swiftly, i.e. (in manner) more rapidly, or (in time) more
speedily:--out (run), quickly, shortly, sooner.
5033. tachista takh'-is-tah
neuter plural of the superlative of 5036 (as adverb); most quickly, i.e. (with
5613 prefixed) as soon as possible:--+ with all speed.

Okay and then I looked up “urgent.” I expected to discover more end times scripture with that word, but it resulted in scripture about what the Macedonian churches were LEARNING! Read this (emphasis added by me) and then check out the concluding definition of the Greek for “urgent.”

2 Corinthians 8
1And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. 2Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. 5And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will. 6So we urged Titus, since he had earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion this act of grace on your part. 7But just as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us[a]—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.

10And here is my advice about what is best for you in this matter: Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not.


4441. punthanomai poon-than'-om-ahee middle voice prolonged
from a primary putho (which occurs only as an alternate in certain tenses); to
question, i.e. ascertain by inquiry (as a matter of information merely; and thus
differing from 2065, which properly means a request as a favor; and from 154,
which is strictly a demand for something due; as well as from 2212, which
implies a search for something hidden; and from 1189, which involves the idea of
urgent need); by implication, to learn (by casual intelligence):--ask, demand,
enquire, understand


“…implies a search for something hidden, which involves the idea of urgent need.”
Oh, you mean like Proverbs 2:3-5!:


3 and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,

4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,

5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the
knowledge of God.


Come on, let’s urgently seek like the Macedonians. They were urgent to give… to learn about giving. Wow. And Paul, furthers that by urging them to wrap up their work.

Nutshell of what I'm beginning to grasp:
1) Move your tail when He’s trying to save you. Critical delay (and unbelief) for Lot’s son-in-laws equaled smithereens.
2) Stop sitting there marveling at that empty tomb and go tell somebody!!!! Go quickly.
3) Learn. Let’s learn like time is of the essence, cause, sister, it is… like there’s a destination worthy of speed, haste, departure even.


4) That going 40 or even 45 in a 55 gets on other people’s nerves, and should not be perpetrated unless one owns a truck that looks like the pictures of these I took today (yes, while driving… it was slow!), or maybe if there’s something giant hanging out your trunk. That will be greatly appreciated.



Lord, thank you for your WORD. I do not deserve the way(S!) you teach me. Thanks for the giggles along the way. I know You crack up and that delights me so!



1 comment:

JandK Walters said...

the insight came even richer than through belly laughing over this the other day! I love you and Bethune, though not really Bethune- even though the Lord could do this in my heart in time....slow time, like the drivers time:) Love you! K