Wednesday, December 30, 2009

3 New Year Resolutions (part uno)
…three because that’s how many gifts baby Jesus received… Wait, no, that’s not it (giggling!); three because it’s just practical (right Jess? – wink).

#1 Cook Dinner 3 nights a week
Once again, the number three is just doable. I got really used to the soccer/football schedule creating zero time to cook a decent meal. I managed to throw frozen chicken in the crockpot like twice a month and whip up the occasional something else – let’s be honest – about four other times during the months of September through November. My other excuses include the fact that I have no adult other than myself to cook for, so… you know, you just lose an ounce of inspiration while preparing for K-2 tastebuds, and B) that I went through a cooking phase a couple of years ago and managed to grow bored with those top 5 recipes. Oh wait, there is also excuse C or D (or are we at E??…): I simply dislike finding the hour I tend to take to pull together the grocery list.

But alas, I want to be the Mommy who brings the family to the table to enjoy something with a tad more nutritional value than grilled cheese or its Mexicano friend, the quesadilla. Here’s my twenty-ten plan: prepare shopping lists for 3 meals/week that include meat, veggie, and perhaps a starch or additional vegetable of some sort. On the other days, we can eat leftovers, grilled cheese, or whatever floats our boat.

Help a mother out! I want the link to one of your favorite recipes. Of course, kid-friendly is great, but I’m all for teaching them to try new things.

p.s. I recommend the flick, Julie and Julia, for cooking inspiration. I found this movie delightful, and talked like Meryl Streep as Julia Childs for a good 30 mins. afterwards.

p.p.s. I live in a town where interesting ingredients do not exist. A fresh bay leaf is exotic here. For real.

6 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I so need to make that same resolution. I hate to cook or even be near the kitchen. Crock pot recipes are the best for avoiding the kitchen and yet cooking a meal. Good luck

Leigh said...

I have some pretty easy recipes on my recipe blog and I HOPE that once the new year starts I will be adding many more recipes to it! Also check would www.allrecipes.com or www.recipezaar.com they are packed fully of recipes!

kellycowan said...

hi girl! okay, stir fry and and fajitas both have lots of veggies but super great taste and are easy/fast to make. (have a good recipe for both but maybe you just needed the idea. we like a "mongolian grill" type version of stir fry that's brown rice, soba noodles, lots of veggies and meats and assortment of sauces with peanuts and seasame seeds on top). also, we like breakfast for dinner and scrabble is one of my favorites and i bet your kids would like it b/c it's just hashbrowns (you can leave out if you like), scrambled eggs, peppers, cheese, really any veggie that sounds good, you get the picture. it's just a glorified scrambled eggs. i don't even think you need a recipe. um what else. we really like grilled sandwiches with any kind of soup on the side. what about pesto/tomato/moz ciabatta? or a monte cristo - ham/turkey/cran sauce/havarti ch on french toast? how about turkey burgers that have chopped up veggies in the meat mixture? casseroles are always easy. i have a chicken/broccoli/rice cass that's yummy and if kids don't like brocc you could do that on one half or chop finely into the topping and they might not mind it. i have recipe if sounds good. one of my favorite ideas is making a double batch of soup like tortilla or tomato basil or hamburger/tomato and freezing one batch for later. freezing is so great! okay i am on a roll. i might have more ideas if you ask more specifically for a certain kind of meat or whatever. I AM NOT A CHEF at all. i am a hilarious mess about cooking but oh so slowly putting together a favorites list on Word. blessing!

Anonymous said...

My favorite go-to recipe is turkey burgers. Just some ground turkey (cheap!), parmesan cheese (I just use the kind in the shaker), salt and pepper, and some chives (or scallions or thyme). I don't like to grill so I do them in the pan.

Also, I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble for Christmas and I got the Everyday Food cookbook. It was published in 2007 so I think it would be at the library. I am loving it so far. Most of the recipes are a fun take on basic ingredients.

AV said...

I love the crockpot for fix-ahead meals. Easy and good, and a lot of times I can freeze leftovers. Something I've been doing this year is making a seasonal menu of easy recipes (lots of crockpot), and rotating those meals for a few months. One favorite is mediterranean chicken:


1 lb 10 oz jar prego mushroom and garlic spaghetti sauce
1 lrg onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
6chicken breasts
pinch cinnamon

Combine pasta sauce, onion, garlic, olives, wine and cinnamon and chicken in crock pot. Stir to cover chicken with sauce. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over rice.

Let me know if you want me to email you my menu plans! Would be happy to share.

Paula V said...

I loved that movie too, Julie and Julia. Very cute.

Enjoyed catching up and reading your posts about 2 under 2 and your 3 resolutions.

Good stuff.