Friday, April 4, 2008

I dare you.

I want you to read this.

I want you to turn off your tv for a week... pick a Monday-Friday at least. I'm daring you!
Don't stop reading. Hear me out for a few more lines.


I like tv. I have some shows that brighten up that particular weekday when I realize that they are available for my viewing pleasure that evening. I'm a fan of the Biggest Loser, of What Not to Wear, other HGTV shows (like those house flipping ones), Extreme Home Makeover - I'm a sucker for a makeover of any kind.

Okay, what's good about tv? Lots. Sure. There are shows that inform, shows that inspire, and yes you can have some good times watching a game with friends, or that show that you just LOVE for whatever reason.


I hear you. I agree. Close your eyes and try to imagine the content of the shows you watch or know exist. Think morning to night line ups of most major networks.

Now, let's consider the following truth with an open mind; soak these in:
2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
6They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

(2 Tim. 3)

Shoot, these verses COULD very well me describing me without Jesus. I'm playing no "holier than thou role" here. I'm asking.
Am I a weak-willed woman? What am I allowing to WORM it's way into my home?
Look, every word above describes our culture. And I highlighted verse 5, because having a form of godliness but denying its power may very well be the most dangerous. Yikes.

I want to be relevant! But, I can tell you this. If I err, let it be on the side of being more irrelevant to our culture than to my God.

Hey, I know this isn't comfort-reading, nor is it a new suggestion. It's a dare.
Please PROVE ME WRONG. Let me know how your life becomes dismal without the TV.
I have a sneaky suspesion that you will find a crazy amount of minutes to do some real life, get some much needed rest, or just be still before the Lord.

The scariest part for me is how scary it is to consider my upcoming week of notta, no shows. Big black screen, quiet house, and just me. I like to fill the quiet void with noisy yuck. There is a problem when my grip is that tight.

Let's loosen them, one by one. Did you say "no thanks." Be bold enough to ask yourself, why not?
Psalm 46:10"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

No comments: