Sunday, April 27, 2008

Choice words

"Looks like you've lost a bit of weight." That's what a 60-something yr-old woman in the row behind me chose to say during the "Tell-someone-good-morning-time!" at worship this morning. After she gave me a knowing look... I thought, what in this world? haha! I don't even have a clue what her name is, but she's been observing my weight or was simply tired of just saying "good morning" and smiling. (by the way, I haven't really lost weight... maybe a lb. or two, but nothin for anyone but my morning scale to take notice of. I just had on a belted shirt and it made me look smaller and I didn't have a huge 4 yr-old attached to my already plentiful hips, cause he was the "helper" with Gran in the nursery that morning...) sorry. Stick with me. There is a point coming here. I am quite certain that this lovely lady (I say that only with a slight edge - for humor's sake, of course) meant well. She was giving me a compliment. But okay, let's admit it, us insecure females hear this: "You used to be a bit chubby, nice to see you lost a few."

Short sentences - words strung together - create immediate impact for the recipients.

Two weeks earlier. I was at the Dollar Store in a giganto line. YES, it was the ONLY lane open in the place and Belle & Christian were in tow. They've pretty much outgrown the stuff that you can strap them too like the good ole days of strollers and carts that their hineys fit comfortably in, so they trail behind... the little wandering ducklings that they are. The Dollar Store line is a feast for the eyes of any child aged 4-6... heck even I can find stuff that I suddenly feel the urge to need. So, as I gazed upon some cheesy magnets stuck on the checkout pole, Belle pondered over the beauty of tacky jewelry, while Christian found yet another weapon he desired. This time it was a suction-cupped, dart throwing, bow & arrow - thingy. He REALLY REALLY wanted it. Okay, I'm no mommy-pro, but I'm not even tempted to give in to these things, especially not in the line. I ooohed and aaaahhed over the trashcan-destined toy, calling it "really cool," and told Christian he could pick up 100 pinecones and come back and buy it himself. "NOW, go put it back up, sweetheart." He did it. phew.
The lady behind me, also a 60-something member, said, "You handled that beautifully." Oh, that was sooooo precious to hear! After you wrestle purchases and a list, (either mental or on paper) admist saying no, and being thoroughly interested in what your children have to say about EVERYTHING (mine are super verbal!!!!), you just feel dang worn out. I cannot tell you how grateful I was for her encouraging words. Those will replay and inspire me for weeks... if not, years to come. Her words were from the Lord.

Speaking of some of HIS:

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 13:3
He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who
speaks rashly will come to ruin.

Unfortunately there are some words that have been spoken both to me AND FROM MY MOUTH, that were far more sinister and hurtful than those of lady #1.
(Trust me, her's were puzzling, but no big deal.)

I praise the Lord for His grace to forgive and restore.

Let us remember, my sweet friends; old ladies like to voice their opinions... they're not alone. Think honey, Honey!

Psalm 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the new haircut. I hvae the same issues with my bangs. They sort of grow in the humidity and my cowlick unstraightens and then I look like Peppermint Patty. Not that you do in your picture. Your bangs look lovely and straight. Anyhow, I'm going to have to save me from myself and go on and grow them out because they don't like me and I'm not too fond of them.

I know what you mean about encouragement. I wish I did a better job of noticing when someone does something praiseworthy and then telling them so. It makes such a difference.