Sunday, February 17, 2008

I told you so...


We have flu-like symptoms. Sick of windexing (no Lysol around) the germy germs which are likely covering every pillow, doorknob, light-switch, drawer-pull… you name it, in my home, I went out to water my droopy pansies.
Ahhhh… how quickly I forget the way magnificent 70 degrees feels on short-sleeved skin. I watered all the pansies, even refilling the watering can (don’t normally do that). Running back inside, I put Christian down for a nap, and announced to Belle, “Mommy’s going to rake!” I needed more of this glorious outdoor goodness.

Daffodils, they are such a sweet little present each year. I mean, seriously, you’d think by now, we wouldn’t be surprised to see their little green heads pop up. They just seem early, don’t they!? My kids pluck them faster than they can grow. (There’s a delightful drinking glass with three, torn at unique heights, gracing my desk now.)

So, I was raking and thinking about how glad I was to see those little guys (daffodils). Being somewhat sidetracked, I started to pick up a wheelbarrow-full of pinecones and sticks. And you know what I saw, as I repeatedly bent and picked? Little bits of green - green in the midst of the barren brown. The new grass is here! My heart sang "yay!"

Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life.[a] Anyone who believes in me will live," John 11:25

And there was that green and those daffodils, and me thinking of how He makes all things new, and the Lord whispering... I told you so.


p.s. I hear there are storms coming tonight.
…And, I’m okay with that too.

2 comments:

JandK Walters said...

you are so martha stewart, or maybe this is just everyone its just I cant even name a dafodile and have not touched a wheelbarrow. Seriously I want to be so much like you, this spring I am going to go smell the flowers too! i love you. also I have flu like symptoms too...its not fun!

amanda thompson said...

I have daffodils in my year too! I am going to pray for you guys when I see them!

Much Love,
Amanda