Friday, June 27, 2008

Firefly Butts

"oooo!!! you just said BUTT!", I can hear Christian now (followed by re-use of the b-u-tt word until my "THAT'S ENOUGH." provoked his mischevious "yes ma'm").

We caught fireflies tonight.
Though, I usually call them lightning bugs and actually only one poor guy won't be going home to his little firefly family this evening. The rest managed quick and dark escapes. 'Ole slow poke' is being poked and proded by two curious kids in a disposable plastic container with some holes punched out of the lid. I wonder if he'll survive his night... if so, tomorrow night is Christian's turn for the living nightlight. Belle won out for this evening's honors.

I've been reading about these little critters and low and behold, after an evening swim, there they were, blinking through the bushes...



He stood there a long time turning the jar. Inside, a single lightning bug fluttered off the sides of the glass. Every five or six seconds, he'd light his lantern. Unc turned the jar in his hand. "Scientists say that these things evolved this way over millions of years." He shook his head. "That's a bunch of bunk. I don't think an animal can just all-of-a-sudden decide it wants to make light grow out its butt. What kind of nonsense is that? Animals don't make light." He pointed to the stars." God does that. I don't why or how, but I'm pretty sure it's not chance. It's not some haphazard thing he does in his spare time."

He looked at me, and his expression changed from one of wonder. He held up the jar. "This is not chance, neither are the stars."

I was hurting inside, and the streaks shining on my face didn't scratch the surface at telling how much.

He tapped me gently in the chest. "And neither are you. So, if your mind is telling you that God slipped up and might have made one giant mistake when it comes to you, you remember the firefly's butt."

3 comments:

amanda thompson said...

oh, kelly I needed to read this today! thank you! thank you!

kellycowan said...

i miss fireflies so much!!! (this is katie and jessi's friend kelly by the way ;)). we don't have them out here in seattle and i just miss seeing them light up all over the yard, chasing one, missing it, and having to stand still all over again for seconds until they show themselves to you. so fun!!! i wish i could do that w/ my kids!!!

Paula V said...

great analogy of no mistakes with the butt of a firefly and neither with us. I called them lightening bugs also. Don't think ill of me, I was raised with boys...my brother and hanging with his friends. Did you ever spread them on your skin to make yellow glow in the dark streaks?